The Mount Pleasant Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986. The district comprises 184 properties along a two-mile, X-shaped, tree line stretch of the Town's two major thoroughfares of Main and Franklin Streets. The Mount Pleasant Historic District explicates the Town's development from a small, sleepy college village in 1850 to its emergence as a rural textile community during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. It also reflects the decelerated growth that was typical of many southern villages who suffered economically after the Civil War. Although nearby Concord and Kannapolis recovered from the devastating financial effects of the war, Mount Pleasant's expansion was extremely gradual in comparison to these two cities. Unlike its neighbors, Mount Pleasant did not have a railroad connection. The Mount Pleasant Historic District depicts the prosperity of the Town's merchants, clergy, artisans, and other professional groups, and their attempts to establish a stronger industrial-based economy.
The Town's finest architectural representatives are located in the Mount Pleasant Historic District and they characterize the architectural development that occurred in many southern towns of similar size. The Mount Pleasant Historic District has a varied and impressive collection of houses representing the Greek Revival, Gothic Revival, Italianate, Queen Anne, Colonial Revival, and Bungalow styles. Several houses in the district rank among the county's finest examples of their respective idiom. The Mount Pleasant Historic District is one of Cabarrus County's most significant historic and architectural resources. The district retains a large number of houses, small businesses, and industries that are representative of the Town's evolution. The Mount Pleasant Historic District's pastoral setting and architectural history recreates the charm and simplicity of village life that is remarkably evident to the modern-day observer.