Town History

Mount Pleasant Collegiate Institute

The Mount Pleasant Collegiate Institute Historic District, named for the last of the three educational institutions which have occupied these buildings and grounds, comprises 7 buildings erected between 1852, when the NC Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America established the Western Carolina Male Academy, and 1933, when the Collegiate Institute closed its doors. Set among groves of trees on a hill overlooking the center of Mount Pleasant, the grouping was the first historic district in Cabarrus County to be listed in the National Register of Historic Places when it was established in 1980. The structures in the district include the Main Building (185 4-55), which currently houses the Eastern Cabarrus Historical Society Museum; the Society Hall (1859-59), a 2-story Greek Revival brick structure; the New Dormitory (1925), a 3- story brick building designed by Charlotte architect Louis H. Asbury; the Matthias Barrier house (1853), a 2-story Greek Revival residence that was the home of a prominent Cabarrus County farmer and educational leader; the President's House (1855), a frame residence with Greek Revival details; and the boarding house (1868), a 2-story frame dwelling.